- Topic Areas:
- Keynote | Continuing Education
- Couples Conference | Couples Conference 2018 | Online Continuing Education
- Terry Real, LICSW
- Course Levels:
- Master Degree or Higher in Health-Related Field
- Audio and Video
- Original Program Date :
- May 05, 2018
CC18 Keynote 04 – Working with Difficult Men: How to Engage, Understand, and Transform Male Clients – Terry Real, LICSW
At no other time in history have men been so awash in mixed cultural messages and in such a state of transition, confusion, reactivity, and trouble. Despite being basically good hearted, many men continue to make a hash of their relationships. We therapists can help, but not before rethinking some of the sacred cows of therapeutic practice. Men need action and leadership from us, challenging them while still loving the little boy inside them and offering guidance and tools to their inner grown-up.
- Describe the best part of the man, his “functional adult,” into an alliance with you.
- Utilize judicious self-disclosure to help diminish shame while confronting men’s difficult behaviors and traits.
- Demonstrate understanding of the current resurgence of patriarchy to an invitation to move beyond it and reclaim passionate connections to self and others.
- Discuss male clients to a therapeutically meaningful deconstruction and reconfiguration of what it means to be “a man.”
*Sessions may be edited for content and to preserve confidentiality*