Climbers seem to naturally fall into two camps: Those who unquestioningly go for it—sometimes without much regard for personal safety—and those who are scared to fall. If you fit into the latter category, then this Overcome Your Fear of Falling online course is for you. With the help of pro climber Molly Mitchell, mental-training expert Arno Ilgner, author of the wildly popular book The Rock Warrior’s Way, will teach you the tips, tricks, practices, drills, and skills that will make you a better, calmer, more relaxed climber, one who’s more able to focus on the challenges presented by the rock instead of succumbing to distracting internal chatter. Like all climbing techniques, falling is a skill that you can both practice and learn to master.
Fear of falling is something that even pro climbers encounter—it’s a hardwired, evolutionary response to heights—but we can all learn to push past that fear and focus on the next move. In this course, mental-training expert Arno Ilgner, with the help of pro climber Molly Mitchell, will take you through the field-tested and -proven steps he’s developed to ensure that fear doesn’t hold you back. He’s worked with some of the best pro climbers, including Heather Weidner, Nina Williams, and Katie Jo Myers, to help them send some of the hardest climbs in the world. From understanding the root of your fear to incremental skill-building, this e-learning course will help you overcome your fear of falling, too.
How This Course Works
We know you have a busy schedule, so we’ve designed this course to be taken at your own pace. You’ll learn through a variety of interactive formats, including video instruction, photo descriptions, and more. Each lesson builds on the last, and, while we’ve designed the course to be 5 weeks long, you can take it as quickly or slowly as you want. Plus, once you purchase the course, the lessons are yours forever.
- History of Falling
- Gear You’ll Need
1) Falling Is a Skill
- Develop the skill
- Practice vs Application
- Trusting yourself and your belayer
- How to be a good belayer
2) Understand Your Fear
Psychology of Falling
- Why are people afraid of it, why does it come and go, and why do some of us feel it more or less than other people?
- Fear holds us back from climbing at our potential
- Everyone falls, but not everyone is OK with it
- Taking lead falls has more risk
- It’s OK to not want to fall
3) Know Your Motivation
- Fight or flight
- Why we fight through until we’re comfortable
- Why we flee from it and don’t engage
- How it impacts us
- The shift to being vulnerable within appropriate risk
- The willingness to engage with stress
- Making small steps
4) Incremental Skill Building
- Eliminating bad habits
- Don’t just “get ‘er done”
- Falling recklessly
- Introducing a little stress at a time
- Being mindful and knowing what you’re paying attention to
- Understanding what you can and can’t control
- Practice on realistic terrain
- Beginning: vertical wall with no obstacles
- Middle: vertical wall with some obstacles
- End: understanding that an obstacle isn’t always an obstacle
5) Skills and Drills
- Impact Skill
- Short toprope falls
- Cushioned belaying: heavy vs. light belayers
- Longer toprope falls
- Lead falls in small increments
- Advanced falls: pendulums, while clipping, while committing; roofs, dihedrals, slab falls, etc.
- Making risk-based decisions
- Unannounced falls: belayer directed; climber directed
- Trad falls
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from Forimc.biz.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!